WeCare, the Philanthropy Committee of American InterContinental University (AIU), has spent the first half of 2011 executing planned philanthropic events and taking on new fundraisers and efforts to help serve those affected by the unfortunate natural disasters that have occurred overseas and in the U.S.
Take a look at a recap of the group’s efforts to date:
- The team started off in February by raising more than $1,500 to buy more than 1,000 school supplies for the Walter and Connie Payton Foundation.
- As the world watched the aftermath of the massive 8.9 magnitude earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan’s east coast, the WeCare committee quickly launched a successful fundraising campaign. AIU partnered with the campuses to raise $1,980 for the American Red Cross.
- In April, the committee successfully raised money for the Leukemia Foundation through multiple Jeans Days, raising more than $2,300. To celebrate and honor Earth Day on April 22, AIU Online launched a Battery Drive collecting more than 1,600 batteries across the Chicago-area campuses.
- Later in the month, as tornados and floods ravaged the southern states, AIU once again partnered with American Red Cross to raise more than $1,100 for domestic relief.
- May was spent preparing for the group’s biggest event of the year, the 4th annual Silent Auction. This year all the proceeds went to Little Angels. The event, held at the Campus Support Center, along with Jeans Days raised more than $3,700. The abundance of gift baskets, event tickets, gift certificates and jewelry were all big draws to the event. Thank you to everyone who participated!
- The team in Portland has also been busy in May and June as well, raising $100 for the Oregon Humane Society and donating 1,163 pounds of food to The Oregon Food Bank.
It is always gratifying to see how much the AIU staff gives back to those less fortunate across a multitude of varied organizations. The team is currently raising money in July for PAWS through a Cutest Pet Contest, pet item collections and Jeans Days.
Watch for our events for the remainder of 2011 – there is always a way you can help!