Successful completion of AIU’s Bachelor of Fine Arts in Fashion Marketing and Design with a specialization in Fashion Design can help students develop the aesthetic and learn to use fashion design elements such as balance and proportion to create strong, relevant fashion designs.
You Can Learn How to:
- Demonstrate how to apply the skills and tools of fashion to design and marketing projects creatively and confidently
- Create original fashion designs either by hand or with computer-aided design software, which demonstrate creativity with design elements
- Confidently and professionally communicate ideas verbally, visually and through text and be able to promote your work professionally in the contemporary fashion marketplace
- Work effectively, both independently and collaboratively, setting goals and employing good project management skills, in relation to fashion design and marketing
- Engage in sustained problem solving, decision making and creative thinking necessary to the fashion process, generating and presenting ideas, concepts, solutions and arguments
- Analyze fashion trends, consumer needs and preferences that are used to forecast, plan, develop and promote clothing lines
- Critically evaluate and articulate your understanding of your own and others' work and be able to devise and sustain a reasoned argument in relation to contemporary fashion
At AIU, more of the courses you take, on average, are devoted to your field of interest than at other similar schools. Your classes may include:
Fashion Portfolio I
Fashion Portfolio I introduces you, as potential fashion designers, to the concepts, techniques and uses of various media that will enable you to communicate your ideas. This will be achieved through drawing live models using line and color, representing texture and movement. This will develop your perception and visual interpretation of garments and how they relate to the human form.
In Fashion Trends you will look at how they arise by considering macro business environmental drivers as well as social and cultural influences. You will consider trend identification, market assessment and competitive response strategies. This will be appropriate preparation for fashion product development, range planning and the exploitation of market opportunities.
CAD for Fashion Marketing
CAD for Fashion Marketing re-enforces the application of creative software (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.), to advance student's skills with computer applications used to enhance fashion presentations including color rendering of drawings and drafting of flats. Students will design a collection, and all the appropriate accoutrements that sit alongside the collection. Students will then take this work and develop and present it in a professional manner using the CAD skills learned in this class.
In Fashion Accessories you will be introduced to the specialist cutting and manufacturing skills involved in creating accessories. While building on existing conceptual and design skills, you will develop a strong understanding of the accessories market place and the relationship between this and the fashion garment industry. You will produce a small range of pieces with the opportunity to explore millinery, glove making and fashion bags or shoes. This course provides the option to design for men or women.
In Styling Fashion you will explore the skills required for this growing specialty in the fashion industry. The stylist creates the visual fashion story whether it is for art, photography, video, window display, advertising, promotions or fashion shows. You will have the opportunity, in groups, to spend time in a photographic studio and on location to develop an understanding of the role of stylist on fashion shoots and other scenarios.
Fashion Event Management
In Fashion Event Management you will be introduced to the different roles that have to work together in order to create a successful fashion event. You will develop an understanding of traditional runway shows and other fashion events such as exhibitions, seasonal press days and PR marketing activities to understand their role within contemporary fashion. You will learn the theory of fashion event production through lectures and guest talks and work in teams to plan a professional event.