1. Scope of Official Rules:
a. This Sweepstakes is governed by: the specific rules of this particular Sweepstakes (“Specific Sweepstakes Rules”), and these General Sweepstakes Rules (collectively “Rules”). If there is any conflict between the Specific Sweepstakes Rules and these General Sweepstakes Rules, these General Sweepstakes Rules will control. Entry in the Sweepstakes means you fully accept all of the Specific Sweepstakes Rules and the General Sweepstakes Rules. The Sponsor(s) may suspend or change any rule as necessary in its sole discretion to effectuate the intended purpose of the Sweepstakes.
b. The Sweepstakes may be promoted in a variety of ways. This Sweepstakes is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administrated by or associated with any social media site on which information regarding this Sweepstakes may appear, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.
c. Unless otherwise specified in the Specific Sweepstakes Rules, the Sponsor of this Sweepstakes is Career Education Corporation, c/o Marketing Coordinator for Sweepstakes, 231 N. Martingale Road, Schaumburg, IL 60173.
2. AGREEMENT TO SETTLE ANY DISPUTE BY ARBITRATION: By entering the Sweepstakes, you agree that any dispute, claim, or demand related in any way to the Sweepstakes will be decided by final and binding arbitration, including claims and disputes regarding arbitribility and jurisdiction, before the American Arbitration Association (the “AAA”). The arbitration will be conducted under the rules of the AAA applicable to the claim, and all supplements thereto, then in effect. In-person hearings and conferences, if any, shall be held at locale reasonably convenient to the Entrant. The arbitration will be before one arbitrator. To the extent permitted by law, the parties agree to waive their rights to litigate before a jury or court or seek injunctive relief. The arbitrator shall have no power to consider any claims on a class or consolidated basis, and Entrants agree to waive any right or ability to commence or participate in any class or consolidated claims relating to the Sweepstakes. The Federal Arbitration Act shall govern the interpretation, enforcement and all proceedings at such arbitration. Judgment upon such arbitration award may be entered in any court having jurisdiction. The arbitrator may award any relief available in the law, but shall not have the power to award punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys' fees, other than Entrant's actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e., costs associated with participating in the Sweepstakes), and Entrant waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
3. No Purchase Necessary: It is not necessary to purchase anything from the Sponsor(s) or make any payment in order to enter this Sweepstakes. Purchase or payment will not increase chances of winning.
4. Description of Sweepstakes and Prize: The description of the Sweepstakes and the Prize shall be posted in the Sponsor(s)’s Specific Sweepstakes Rules, and may be changed at any time and without further notice at the sole discretion of the Sponsor.
5. Beginning and Ending Dates: The dates between which eligible persons may enter the Sweepstakes will normally be posted in the Specific Sweepstakes Rules. If those Rules do not specify a timeframe, then entries will be accepted from eligible participants from the time the Sweepstakes is first posted lasting for 24 hours thereafter. All dates are subject to change in the sole discretion of the Sponsor.
6. Method of Entry:
a. Description of activity, if any: The Method of Entry will be described in the Specific Sweepstakes Rules.
b. Alternative Method of Entry:
i. Notwithstanding any other Method of Entry, otherwise eligible persons may also enter the Sweepstakes by sending a postage prepaid postcard or letter to: AIU Marketing Department, Sweepstakes Coordinator, 231 N. Martingale Road, Schaumburg, IL 60173. The postcard should indicate:
1. “This is a Sweepstakes entry for the [name of Sweepstakes] Sweepstakes.”
2. The name of the School sponsoring the sweepstakes, if known;
3. Entrant’s full name, age, full residential address, telephone number*, and email address*. (* optional for faster notification).
ii. Sponsor(s) is not liable for any mailed entries that are lost or delayed before received by the Sponsor(s). All entries must be received by the date indicated in the Specific Sweepstakes Rules.
c. Limit on the number of entries: Unless otherwise posted in the Specific Sweepstakes Rules, each person is limited to one single entry.
d. Acknowledgement: Entries will not be acknowledged nor returned.
e. Entry Requirements: Unless otherwise stated in the Specific Sweepstakes Rules, the following requirements also apply to all entries.
i. The use of script, macro or automated devices (or any other devices intended to automate or subvert any aspect of entry) to enter the Sweepstakes is prohibited and any entry through such means and any entry that is deemed to be ineligible at Sponsor(s)’s sole discretion will be void.
ii. Entries must not be derogatory, offensive, threatening, defamatory, disparaging, libelous or contain any content that is inappropriate, indecent, sexual, profane, tortuous, slanderous, discriminatory in any way, or that promotes hatred or harm against any group or person, or otherwise does not comply with the theme and spirit of the Sweepstakes, as determined by the Sponsor in its sole and absolute discretion.
iii. Entries must not contain content, material or any element that is unlawful, or otherwise in violation of or contrary to any applicable federal, state, or local laws and regulation.
iv. Entries should not contain any content, material or element that displays any third party advertising, slogan, logo, trademark or otherwise indicates a sponsorship or endorsement by a third party, commercial entity or that is not within the spirit of the Sweepstakes, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
v. Entries must not contain any content, element, or material that violates a third party’s publicity, privacy or intellectual property rights, including but not limited to copyright, patent, trademark, or trade secret.
vi. Entries must be original, unpublished works that do not contain, incorporate or otherwise use any content, material or element that is owned by a third party or entity.
vii. Entries must not be the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim.
viii. Entries must not have been entered in any other Sweepstakes or competition.
ix. The Sponsor(s) reserve the right to disqualify any incomplete entries or any entry that does not meet or comply with these requirements.
7. Winner Selection: Unless otherwise stated in the Specific Sweepstakes Rules, the Winner(s) will be selected in a random drawing from all eligible, timely submitted entries. The odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries that are timely submitted. The manner of drawing shall be in the sole discretion of the Sponsor(s). Decisions of the judges are final and binding. In the event there are not enough eligible entries, not all prizes will be awarded. If a potential winner is disqualified or unable for whatever reason to accept, acknowledge or be notified his or her prize, then Sponsor(s) reserves the right to award the prize to another entrant, or to not award the prize. Sponsor(s) are not required to award a prize if there are no qualified entries, or less than 5 qualified entries. In the event of an exact tie, the Prize will be awarded based upon the first entry received. If the time of the first entry cannot be determined, the Sponsor(s) may, in their sole discretion, not award the Prize, or award all tied entrants an alternative prize the cumulative value of which is up to the amount of the original Prize.
8. Publicity: Publicizing the Sponsor(s), its/their entities, Entrants and the Winner(s) widely in social media, TV, radio, in person and/or on the internet, is an essential aspect of the Sweepstakes. By entering the Sweepstakes, Entrants agree to participate in any media or promotional activity resulting from the Sweepstakes as reasonably requested by the Sponsor(s) and agree and consent to use of their name and/or likeness by the Sponsor(s). Without limiting the foregoing, the Sponsor(s) specifically reserves the right to publish the name and likeness of Entrants and Winners on the Sweepstakes site or through other media for publicity purposes. Except where prohibited by law, each Entrant and/or Winner may be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility, and liability and publicity waivers and releases and provide any additional information that the Sponsor may require. The Sponsor(s) may impose requirements to return all such required documentation by a certain time period. If Entrant or Winner fail to do so, the Sponsor(s) may award the Prize to someone else, or not award the Prize. In the event the winner is a minor, the responsible parent or guardian will be responsible to sign and return the documents.
9. Description of Prize: The Prize will generally be described in the Specific Sweepstakes Rules. The Sponsor(s) may change the prize at any time in its/their sole discretion. If the Prize involves travel, Sponsor(s) shall not be responsible for any cancellations, delays, loss of luggage or time, or any acts or omissions by any provider of travel services. If the Prize involves a scholarship or award toward the cost of attending school, please note that the Prize is NOT AN OFFER OF ADMISSION to any of Sponsor(s)’s schools.
10. Notification of Winner(s): Winning is subject to validation and verification of eligibility and compliance with all the terms and conditions set forth in these Rules. Unless otherwise stated in the Specific Sweepstakes Rules, the winners will be notified via the entrant’s last known email address, telephone, U.S. Mail, or in-person, as determined by the Sponsor(s) in its/their sole discretion. If the winner is known to be a minor at the time of notification, the parent and/or guardian shall be notified in the manner described. Winner(s) will be announced on the date indicated in the Specific Sweepstakes Rules, or 12 months after the end of the Sweepstakes, whichever date is sooner.
11. Void in Puerto Rico, and to persons 13 years of age and younger. Unless specifically otherwise specified in the Specific Sweepstakes Rules, this Sweepstakes is open only to residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia.
12. Eligible Participants: To enter the Sweepstakes, you must be an eligible participant. The following eligibility requirements are in addition to any eligibility requirements posted in the Specific Sweepstakes Rules. Together they determine who is eligible to enter or win the Sweepstakes
a. Persons 13 years of age or under may never enter or win the Sweepstakes.
b. Unless stated otherwise in the Specific Sweepstakes Rules, an entrant must be a United States citizen or permanent U.S. legal resident who is 18 years old or older at the time of entry. If the Specific Sweepstakes Rules expressly state that the Sweepstakes is open to minors, then minors or others without the legal capacity to enter the Sweepstakes must have the prior written permission of a parent or legal guardian to enter and win the Sweepstakes.
c. Employees, officers, directors, agents and representatives of the Sponsor(s), and each of their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, wholesalers, retailers, distributors, suppliers, advertising and promotion agencies, and each such individual’s immediate family members (mother, father, sister, brother, child, significant other, domestic partner, husband, wife, regardless of where they reside) and those living in their same households (residing in the same household for at least three (3) months a year), whether or not related, are not eligible to participate or win the Sweepstakes.
13. TAXES: AWARDS OF PRIZES TO POTENTIAL WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO THE EXPRESS REQUIREMENT THAT THEY SUBMIT TO THE SPONSOR(S) ALL DOCUMENTATION REQUESTED BY SPONSOR(S) TO PERMIT THE SPONSOR(S) TO COMPLY WITH ALL APPLICABLE STATE, FEDERAL AND LOCAL TAX REPORTING. ALL PRIZES WILL BE NET OF ANY TAXES THE SPONSOR(S) IS/ARE REQUIRED BY LAW TO WITHHOLD. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ALL TAXES IMPOSED ON PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER(S). If a potential winner fails to provide such documentation or comply with such laws, the prize may be forfeited and Sponsor(s) may, in its/their sole discretion, select an alternate potential winner as provided in these Rules.
14. General Conditions: All federal, state and local laws and regulations, and applicable accreditor rules and regulations, apply. Void where prohibited.
15. Sweepstakes Integrity: Sponsor(s) reserve the right to disqualify any Entrant from the Sweepstakes if the Sponsor(s), in its/their sole discretion, reasonably believe that the Entrant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes by cheating, deception, providing any false information, other unfair practices, or any practice that annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other entrants, Sponsor(s), or the Judges. If an Entrant is disqualified, the Sponsor(s) reserves the right to terminate that Entrant’s eligibility to participate in the Sweepstakes. Sponsor(s) reserves the right to cancel all or any part of the Sweepstakes if the Sponsor(s), in its/their sole discretion, reasonable believe that anyone has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes by any means including but not limited to cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices or annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses anyone connected to the Sweepstakes.
16. Rights in the Entry/Submission: The Entrant assigns to Sponsor(s) all ownership and intellectual and industrial property rights (including moral rights) in and to the entry, except as otherwise stated in the Specific Sweepstakes Rules.
17. Privacy and Your Information: Entrants agree that personal data submitted with an entry, including name, mailing address, phone number, and email address may be collected, processed, stored and otherwise used by the Sponsor(s) and its/their affiliates for the purposes of conducting and administering the Sweepstakes. By entering the Sweepstakes, Entrants agree to the transmission, processing, disclosing and storage of this personal data by the Sponsor(s) and its/their affiliates. Entrants have the right to access, review, rectify or cancel any personal data held by the Sponsor(s) in connection with the Sweepstakes by writing to: Privacy Matters at PrivacyMatters@careered.com. If an Entrant does not provide the data required at entry, that Entrant’s entry may be ineligible.
18. Warranty and Indemnity: By entering the Sweepstakes, Entrants warrant that their entries are their own original work and, as such, they are the sole and exclusive owner and rights holder of the submitted entry and that they have the right to submit the entry in the Sweepstakes and to grant all required licenses.
a. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Entrant agrees to indemnify the Sponsor(s), and Facebook if applicable, at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from any act, default or omission of the Entrant and/or a breach of any warranty set forth herein. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Entrant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsor(s), and Facebook if applicable, from and against any and all claims, actions, suits or proceedings, as well as any and all losses, liabilities, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorney’s fees) arising out of or accruing from: (i) any entry or other material provided by Entrant that infringes any copyright, trademark, trade secret, trade dress, patent or other intellectual property right of any person or defames any person or violates their rights of publicity or privacy; (ii) any misrepresentation made by Entrant in connection with the Sweepstakes; (iii) any non-compliance by Entrant with these Rules; (iv) claims brought by persons or entities other than the parties to these Rules arising from or related to Entrant’s involvement with the Sweepstakes; (v) acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any Sweepstakes-related activity or participation in the Sweepstakes; (vi) any malfunction or other problem with the Sweepstakes Site in relation to the entry and participation in the Sweepstakes by Entrant; (vii) any error in the collection, processing, or retention of entry or voting information in relation to the entry and participation in the Sweepstakes by Entrant and in the voting process by the judges; or (viii) any typographical or other error in the printing, offering or announcement of any prize or winners in relation to the entry and participation in the Sweepstakes by Entrant.
19. Internet and Disclaimer: The Sponsor(s) is/are not responsible for any malfunction of the Sweepstakes site or any late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, undeliverable, or destroyed entries or votes due to system errors, failed, human error, incomplete or garbled computer or other telecommunication transmission malfunctions, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, typographical or system/human errors and failures, technical malfunction(s) of any telephone network or lines, cable connections, satellite transmissions, servers or providers, or computer equipment, traffic congestion on the Internet or at the Sweepstakes Site, or any combination thereof, including other telecommunication, cable, digital or satellite malfunctions which may limit Entrant’s ability to participate. The Sponsor(s) is/are not responsible for the policies, actions, or inactions of others, which might prevent Entrant from entering, participating, and/or claiming a prize in this Sweepstakes. The failure of the Sponsor(s) to enforce any term of these Rules will not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision.
20. Choice of Law: These Rules shall be governed by, subject to, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Illinois, excluding all choice of law and conflict of law rules. If any provision(s) of these Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect.
21. Winners List: You may request a list of the Winner(s) for 30 days after the public announcement of the Winner.