There are a variety of federal financial aid programs designed to help students obtain the resources necessary to pursue a quality education at AIU. Some federal aid programs involve no repayment, while others take the form of low or no interest loans, with structured repayment over an extended time frame. There are a few specific federal financial aid programs that students most commonly use when obtaining help in financing their education:
- Federal Pell Grant - This grant program is designed to assist undergraduate students who desire to continue their education beyond high school. Every student is entitled to apply for a Federal Pell Grant. Eligibility is determined by a standard U.S. Department of Education formula, which uses family size, income and resources to determine need. Unlike loans, the Federal Pell Grant does not usually have to be paid back.
- Federal Stafford Loan - This loan program is among the most common federal aid programs, especially for undergraduate studies. The Federal Stafford Loan offer an array of low or no interest loans, with long-term time periods for students to work on repayment.
- Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) - The William D. Ford Federal Direct PLUS Loan is a low-interest loan available to parents of dependent undergraduate students. A credit check is required, and either or both parents may borrow through this program.
- Federal Graduate PLUS Loan - The William D. Ford Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is an affordable, low-interest loan for graduate students. While you will be required to pass a credit check when you apply, a lack of credit history will not necessarily affect your eligibility for the Graduate PLUS Loan.
- Federal Work Study (FWS) - FWS is a financial aid program designed to assist students in meeting the cost of their education by working part-time while attending school. Positions may either be on-campus, off-campus or community service related. A candidate must demonstrate need to be awarded. Federal Work Study is only available at AIU ground campus locations.
Download our Funding Sources document for additional information on different types of federal financial aid.