Want to design a fashion collection? From mix-and-match outfits to corresponding accessories, a collection can be an exhilarating way to pursue fashion design opportunities. Find out how the best fashion designers create collections by following these simple tips:
Know Your Audience
Before you start to brainstorm design ideas, you must identify your audience. Which group of people would enjoy your design style? Once you choose a target audience, do some fashion research on that group. Answer these questions:
- What are recent fashion trends with that audience?
- Which fashion designers have been most popular with that audience?
- What are some lessons you can learn from the audience’s fashion choices?
Define the Look
Now that you’ve researched the target audience, you can start defining your collection’s look. The key to fashion collections is to follow trends while still creating innovative designs. How can you incorporate characteristics of recent successful designs and create a unique style at the same time?
Use your own past successful design projects to find ideas that match your brand and bring something new to the table. Once you have a general idea of the look, summarize it in a sentence or two. You can use this summary as you design to keep all of the pieces unified and goal-oriented.
Throughout the designing and selling process of your collection, advertising is a vital component. Target your audience by applying the following creative marketing techniques:
- Ask your audience for their fashion suggestions based on the collection’s theme.
- Create conversation by posting pictures through social media during the design process.
- Encourage feedback by polling your audience or asking them to post pictures of their favorite ways to wear collection pieces.
Of course, it’s always important to advertise any deals throughout the sale of your collection. Collections deserve publicity, so utilize all of your advertising outlets to make your audience aware.
Copyright: Inara Prusakova