As the New Year gets started, it can be very easy to fall into the same routine of searching for a new job. However, it is important to expand your horizons and utilize different techniques and approaches in locating a new career path. If you don't, you may find yourself going in circles and falling into a rut. Here are five things that you can do to jump start your job search this year:
1) Enhance Your Credentials: It is a New Year, and that means it can be a new you! Start learning a new language, enroll in a professional development course or a certification program, or begin teaching yourself new tricks in your targeted job field to enhance your job search. There are numerous books, videos, online tutorials, and other avenues to help you learn new methodologies, programs, software, teaching strategies, or any tasks that your job field entails.
2) Be Efficient: Organize yourself and don't waste time applying to the same type of position over and over again. It is important never to give up on a dream job or opportunity, but it is also wise to ensure you don't spend too much time on the same thing, or you might miss that one job opportunity that is right in front of you! Try to join and utilize a new job search engine or job board at least once a week, if not more.
3) Expand Your Network: There is no better time to expand your personal and professional network than the start of a New Year! Get out there and network to open up opportunities to connect with others and help expand your circle. It is said that a large percentage of job openings are usually filled by candidates who were referred by an employee of the hiring company. Don't miss out on this opportunity.
4) Utilize Technology and Social Media: It is now 2016! Aside from using online job search engines and online job boards, there are other ways you can use technology to help your job search. Create a Linked In profile, if you don't have one already. If you do, use it more than you did last year! It is another great way to expand your network and build up your professional connections. Some of these connections might be good candidates to reach out to for informational interviews, where you can ask them for advice on the career path they took to help you identify your own opportunities and potential career paths.
5) Try Something New: Albert Einstein said it best: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity! Try a new approach or technique, such as cold-calling, informational interviewing, or a walk-in application. Start working with a staffing agency or recruiting company, join a professional/trade organization, or attend a job/career fair. Just do something that you have not tried before and you may be surprised at the opportunities and/or information you come across. And of course, don't give up - do not ever give up!
This is just a short list of tips and suggestions to help you refresh and jump start your job search. If you're a current AIU student or alumnus looking for more career advice, please contact the Career Services Department at 877-221-5800 Option 5 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for more guidance on this and other career search topics.
Interested in more posts on job search related topics? Check out our Career Development blog.