History of the University
American InterContinental University (AIU) was founded in Europe in 1970 on the premise that universities should transcend the bounds of the traditional, theory-based approach to education by providing students with a curriculum that can help them prepare to pursue their professional interests in today's globalized, cutting-edge industries.
For more than 45 years, AIU has offered specialized, flexible degree programs. Today, it operates campuses in Atlanta and Houston as well as at AIU Online, which launched in 2001. In January 2001, Career Education Corporation (CEC) acquired the university.
AIU is committed to developing curricula designed to provide students with career preparation in business, criminal justice, education, information technology, design and healthcare management. The University’s success in this endeavor is reflected in the employment of its graduates throughout the international business community, the achievements of its alumni, and the commitment of its faculty.
Philosophy & Outcomes
Founded as the American College in 1970, AIU provides associate, bachelor's and master's degrees in a ground-campus environment and online. AIU’s ground campuses are located in Atlanta, Georgia, and Houston, Texas. The Online, or Main, campus is located in northwest suburban Chicago, Illinois.
The University community has a special commitment to promoting educational opportunity, and to supporting student goals through a set of Institutional Outcomes. To this end, the University places emphasis on the educational, professional, and personal growth of each student, and pursues this aim with a commitment to institutional integrity and ethics. Programs, policies, and institutional initiatives validate AIU’s achievement of the Outcomes and support the University’s Mission, Vision, and Values. These foundational statements are evaluated periodically and modified, as appropriate, to meet the needs of the student body and the institution. The Institutional Outcomes emphasize the link between the University Mission with program and departmental missions.
- To embrace an educational culture for a diverse student body supported by faculty and staff who provide a personalized approach in support of student success.
- To deliver an integrated learning experience to support students’ intellectual growth, academically and professionally.
- To employ innovative technologies to deliver an immersive learning experience that engages the varied learning styles of our students.
- To provide a curriculum emphasizing learning that prepares students for success in a dynamic professional environment.
- To maintain a pool of practitioner faculty who possess relevant industry experience.
Vision and Values
AIU will grow as a respected global leader in higher education, serving a diverse student body with expert faculty and a wide range of innovative, flexible programs.
In order to achieve its vision, AIU’s student-centered community will challenge and nurture learners to ensure they receive a quality educational experience resulting in excellent personal and institutional outcomes. The University will value the following in support of its mission, purposes, and vision:
- Student Learning and Effective Teaching
- AIU values student learning and the application of learning, believing that mastery of knowledge and skills serves to empower students for success in their chosen career field.
- AIU values the continuous improvement and development of educational programs and services to meet the needs of its students.
- AIU values all of its constituents—students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community—and is committed to supporting them in their pursuit of personal and professional success.
- AIU values opportunity for all students, believing that accessibility to higher education is a right for all those who have the desire, interest, and motivation to succeed in their chosen career fields.
- AIU values diversity in all its forms, believing that the University is strengthened by the richness of its various constituencies.
- AIU values a culture of honesty and is committed to operating in a legally, morally, and ethically correct manner.
Click here to learn about AIU's Accreditation and Licensure.
Classes Start October 24, 2018