Graduation and Commencement
AIU will host three commencement ceremonies in 2017, one near each campus location, for our graduates to celebrate their achievement. Register to participate in one of the commencements today!
The graduation schedules vary between campuses. If you would like to participate in a commencement, follow the campus links below for specific information on each ceremony.
All graduates are required to submit the appropriate registration information while ordering their cap and gown. Registration information and regalia ordering must be submitted prior to the designated deadline to reserve a spot in a commencement ceremony.
We hope to celebrate with you at one of our 2017 ceremonies! Please direct your commencement questions to Alumni Services at AIUGraduation@aiuniv.edu or contact your Student Services Advisor at 877-221-5800 option 1.
- Ceremony Date: Friday, June 23, 2017
- *Late Fee Charged: Friday, May 5, 2017
- Registration Deadline: Friday, May 26, 2017
- Ceremony Date: Friday, July 14, 2017
- *Late Fee Charged: Friday, May 26, 2017
- Registration Deadline: Friday, June 16, 2017
- Ceremony Date: Saturday, August 5, 2017
- *Late Fee Charged: Friday, June 16, 2017
- Registration Deadline: Friday, July 7, 2017
*Graduates will be charged a $20 fee to expedite the cap and gown if registration is not received before the date.
Alumni Commencement Event
Alumni Services will host a commencement celebration the evening before each ceremony. The event welcomes graduates to the Alumni Association while celebrating their accomplishment. During the event, graduates and their guests will have the opportunity to:
- Indulge in hors d'oeuvres and beverages
- Network with fellow graduates and meet AIU faculty and staff
- Military graduates and graduates being awarded honors will be recognized
- Learn about the Alumni Association benefits and programs
- Receive free AIU memorabilia
- Take memorable photos
- And, more!
Review event details per location and RSVP to participate by visiting the ceremony location that you will be attending above. A limited number of tickets are available—make your reservation now!
Candidates who meet the eligibility requirements may participate in a 2017 commencement.
- Students who earned a degree by the commencement ceremony date
- Students who are scheduled to be complete courses before December 1, 2017. Students participating in a commencement ceremony prior to their program being complete must successfully complete all courses to officially graduate from the University.
- Complete registration and order AIU regalia on the Jostens website.
Download AIU’s Graduation App
Get our university’s official graduation app! Stay in the know every day, with School Way. New commencement information and reminders will be shared as your ceremony date approaches. To receive real-time updates on information leading up to your commencement, download the free app today.
Download the app on the App Store (apple) or Google Play (android). Search for the SchoolWay app, install and register using code: AIU142
You can also view the updates through any device on the web by visiting http://myschoolway.com/AIU
Cap and Gown Overview
Graduates order their regalia and register to participate in a ceremony on the Jostens registration site. All regalia orders include a cap, black gown with AIU seal, programmatic stole and an AIU tassel. Master’s graduates also receive a hood.
|Degree Level||Cost||Late Fee|
|Associates and Bachelor's
*plus tax and shipping
Regalia orders are mailed to the graduate by Jostens several weeks after the order is placed. Questions regarding regalia shipment should be directed to Jostens at 800-854-7464.
Graduates should check to ensure they have received the correct regalia. If incorrect regalia are received, graduates must contact Jostens to report the issue and request the correct regalia pieces. Graduates must bring all regalia pieces to the ceremony.
Programmatic Stole Colors (all graduates)
|Program||Programmatic Stole Color|
|Business||Drab (beige) stole with royal blue thread|
|Design||Brown stole with white thread|
|Criminal Justice||Navy blue stole with white thread|
|Information Technology||Gold stole with royal blue thread|
|Education||Light blue stole with royal blue thread|
Master’s Hood Lining Color (Master’s graduates only)
|Program||Program Hood Color|
Cords and Medallions
Cords and medallions are distributed to eligible graduates at the check-in table on commencement day.
|Honorary Level||CGPA||Cord Colors|
|Summa Cum Laude||3.9+||Blue and gold|
|Magna Cum Laude||3.7-3.89||Blue and silver|
|Cum Laude||3.5-3.69||Blue and bronze|
Note: While the University awards honors at the undergraduate level, this achievement is expected for the graduate study. Graduate students are required to maintain a minimum of a 3.0 CGPA throughout their program.
Graduates earning a CGPA of 4.0 receive an Honor Medallion recognizing their achievement (including Master’s).
Americana Military Cord
All active duty and veterans receive a red, white and blue cord at the ceremony to proudly wear.
Special Regalia Circumstances
The official AIU cap and gown must be worn to ensure uniformity among graduates.
- If a graduate owns an AIU gown from the Associate’s program and is graduating from a Bachelor’s program, the same gown can be worn. The appropriate programmatic stole must be purchased through Jostens while registering.
- Master’s graduates, who own a cap and gown from an undergraduate program, must order the Master’s regalia to receive the master’s gown and hood.
For other unique circumstances or graduates needing regalia shipped outside of the USA or to the Virgin Islands, contact AIUGraduation@aiuniv.edu for ordering assistance.
Classes Start December 27, 2017