Alumni Mentor Program
The Alumni Mentor Program is all about the power of partnership. It brings together successful AIU graduates— like you— with new and continuing students who may be in need of extra support and motivation. Through the program, you have the opportunity to share the knowledge and experience gained from your AIU journey to positively impact a student who has just started their journey. Watch this video to see an example of the positive impact the mentorship program has on a mentor and mentee.
How does mentorship work?
As an AIU Alumni Mentor, you are a volunteer who supports the personal growth, professional development and academic success of any new and/or current AIU students by:
- Actively communicating with mentee(s) for a minimum of 3 sessions. After, you and the mentee(s) can determine how you would like the mentorship to evolve.
- Participating in AIU Alumni Association online mentor meetings and other AIU required training.
- Developing with mentee(s) at least three SMART goals within the areas of personal growth, professional development and academic success.
Mentors receive mentee assignments by email from the AIU Alumni Association and are asked to reach out to their mentee(s) to establish a relationship and discuss the mentorship goals. Mentors are encouraged to interact with mentee(s) bi-weekly and are asked to respond to mentees within 48 hours. Ultimately, the goal is to create a schedule that works for everyone.
What do mentors share with students?
It’s important to be open to sharing the hard-earned knowledge and insight that you've acquired because students want to learn from your success. Each mentorship will be a unique experience; discussing different topics, questions and goals. Mentors will partner with students to understand their individual needs and develop a plan that supports their challenges and goals. Often the mentor role will call on you to give a surge of motivation when a student is need of encouragement.
What can mentors gain from the program?
Being a resource for students during their academic journey can be a rewarding experience. Mentors have the opportunity to network and practice their active listening, coaching and motivational skills.
What are the requirements?
Alumni must meet the following requirements to be considered for the mentor role:
- Completed a minimum of one degree program at AIU
- Graduated with at least a 2.8 GPA
- Submit the Alumni Mentor Program application below expressing interest in the opportunity
If you’re interested in being a mentor and meet the requirements, please submit the application form below. Program questions should be sent to email@example.com.
Thank you for your willingness to volunteer and share your experience!
Alumni Mentorship Program Application
Classes Start December 7, 2022