Transfer Credits at AIU Atlanta
At American InterContinental University (AIU), we understand that you may be looking to enroll with past credits or previously earned degrees from another university. Not only do you have the opportunity to transfer qualifying college credit earned from institutions throughout Georgia and the rest of the U.S., but you may also be able to receive college credit for qualifying experience on the job. Additionally, qualifying military service credit may be eligible to contribute towards your degree program at AIU.
Basic Transfer Requirements for Academic Credit
Some basic transfer credit requirements for eligibility at AIU Atlanta include:
- You must submit unofficial transcripts for evaluation prior to beginning your degree program and official transcripts by the end of your first semester.
- The courses must have been completed with a “C” or equivalent grade.
- The courses must represent at least freshman-level work at the collegiate level.
- If you’re transferring a degree or credit from another college, that institution must be accredited by the U.S. Department of Education.
- If you are seeking to receive course credit via an Advanced Placement (AP) Examination, you must earn a score of 3 or higher.
The AIU Transfer Credit Guide explains in more detail what the policies are for evaluating and awarding past credits.
College Credit for Qualifying Experience in the Field
We acknowledge that you may have professional experience applicable to your degree program that you acquired and used outside of an academic setting. While there must be documentation to support these claims of experience — such as a transcript, a certification or the results of a placement exam — our Prior Learning Assessment process may allow you to leverage your real-world experience to complete your degree program faster. AIU works with eligible students to transfer prior qualifying experience into credits towards their degree program.
AIU’s Prior Learning Assessment is designed to evaluate the academic equivalency of qualifying credit from experiences such as:
- Military Credit
- Experiential Learning
- Professional Training and Certifications
- Standardized Assessments/Examinations
- CLEP or DSST Examinations
- Course Challenge Examinations
- Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations
- Other recognized exams at the discretion of the University
How to Get Started With Transfer Credits
There are some options and resources you can utilize when transferring to AIU Atlanta, including:
- If you would like to discuss credit transfer evaluations for past experience or the specific requirements of a Prior Learning Assessment, you can request information from an Admissions Advisor. Since your experience must be measurable in some way, you may have to take a placement exam if you lack documentation such as a certificate or diploma.
- Students looking to transfer from a community college in Georgia may consult AIU’s Transfer Credit Guide and a Prior Learning Assessment Specialist or Academic Advisor to determine eligibility.
- AIU has programs that are designed to meet the needs of active duty and veterans of the U.S. Armed Services. We provide transfer opportunities for qualifying non-traditional experience and military education by way of the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) code. AIU is committed to evaluating qualifying military experience for college credit.
Explore how to transfer your eligible credits or earn college credit for qualifying work experience at AIU’s Atlanta campus. Learn more about our Prior Learning Assessment process.
Transfer credit is evaluated on an individual basis. Not all credits are eligible to transfer. See the University catalog regarding AIU’s transfer credit policies.
Classes Start January 10, 2024